Thursday, August 18, 2011

A book Read - Science, Creation and the Bible. Carlson & Longman


Sometimes the more you know, the more you realize you don't know! This is one of those areas. Always tangled in controversy it seem a hard area to do thinking out loud... so here goes!

I started this book with the question, "what is the genre of the creation accounts in Genesis?", unfortunately I finished the book with the same question! Which is not to say I didn't learn a lot on the journey, it's just to say, I think I got off this train a few stations before they did.

In the end their attempt at explaining the complex issue of the genre resulted in a two layered approach - that seems to me for all money to be allegory. Now that is in good company in the history of interpretation, Augustine for one, but I am a little uncomfortable with it as it pretty quickly cuts historicity out from under you - and then Adam becomes the next to go, and the NT speaks confidently about him I think.

I think understanding the presentation of Genesis as being truth focussed to a certain depth is where I am at, so a worldview of creation written for the naked eye - not the electron microscope, helps as it is true in what it tells us, we just have to understand how to read it well.

Worth a read - but not the end of the issue by any means 6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment