Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I can Feel a XXXX coming on!

When will Australian’s stop and (to use a Roy and HG-ism), go into the house of Mirrors and take a good hard look at themselves?

Alcohol is not our friend, never has been, I suspect it never will be. Alcho-Pop tax attempts prove the reality we know it is bad (at least for our youth) but we are unwilling to say out loud that something societal and profound needs to change. The tax on the lollie-water really sends a message of, ‘do as I say, and not as I do…’

I Like a beer, especially recently, after hours of painting a house on a 40 degree day, but the latest NRL “off field incident”, is really a reflection of our wider societies approach to what alcohol is for ----- excess.

Rob Clarkson (no relation to Jeremy!), was a mostly un-noticed indie muso when I was at uni (the first time!) and he hit on something when he re-worked Blaise Pascal’s observation of Man’s God-shaped hole, Clarkson sang,
‘There is a hole in my heart where you used to be,
I’m going to fill it with another type of hole
- - called alco-hol’.

Alcohol is our societies self-medication against life!

But what do you expect, we were founded by a boat load of British convicts with nothing to do and only rum to drink in the same 40 degree heat!! 200 years later – to quote Page and Plant it seems, ‘the song remains the same’.

Will we ever find a respected leader in this country to help us face some of the harsh realities of our use of Alcohol?
They say the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem!

No comments:

Post a Comment