Sunday, February 14, 2010

A Read Book - Introverts in the Church - Adam McHugh


I wanted to read this book - I thought it would be a nice change from the usual chest-beating stuff on church leadership in particular that usually winds up making you think their basic premise is to be a better leader you need to be more me, and less you!!

In the end it probably has the same sought of vibe, just zigging while everyone else is zagging - so it is going to have some good insights.

I found the book to have some good insights into the world of the introvert, and in particular what it would mean for an introvert in ministry, in getting things done, but also in terms of the relationships aspects that is quite at the forefront of this kind of vocation.

It helped me to clarify that I have a tendency towards deeper relationships with a few people, than surface relationships with a lot of people (which is handy because I can't help think the two other people in my family will help to balance that out!).

So some unusual observations for some self evaluation and indeed future planning and action.

BUT - and it is a BIG BUT (if you'll pardon the expression), the book analyzes everything so much through the grid of an introvert it felt rather self indulged and self obsessed at points - some times I wanted to say 'get over it, we can't always have things on our terms'.

And this is nothing compared to what I was saying when he was outlining some of his introverted meditation ideas - it pained me beyond belief to see that IVP would publish a book that was essentially recommending medieval Roman Catholic approach to how we know God..... (see the cloud of unknowing if you are not sure what I mean).....

I really disliked that this book was far from Evangelical in it's theology of Revelation......

If it had of just been a practical observation book, I probably would have lent it to people, but with theology as poor as that - I really wouldn't want to lend it to anyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment